Connect with us

News

Nigerian air force passenger plane crash kills seven people

Reuters

Published

on

A small Nigerian air force passenger plane crashed just outside Abuja airport after reporting engine failure on Sunday (PHOTO: Reuters)

A small Nigerian air force passenger plane crashed just outside Abuja airport after reporting engine failure on Sunday, killing all seven people on board, the air force said.

The plane, a Beechcraft King Air 350i, was on its way to the city of Minna, 110 kilometres (68 miles) northwest of the capital, air force spokesman Ibikunle Daramole said in a statement.

The aircraft “crashed while returning to the Abuja Airport after reporting engine failure”, said Daramole. “First responders are at the scene. Sadly, all seven personnel on board died in the crash.”

Advertisement

The chief of the air force has ordered an investigation into the accident, Daramole said.

ALSO READ  Meghan Markle reveals she had a miscarriage in July

President Muhammadu Buhari in a statement sent his condolences to the air force and families of the victims, saying he was “deeply saddened by the fatal crash”.

In scrubland just outside the airport perimeter, dozens of military and airport officials picked through the charred remnants of the fuselage as fire engines and ambulances stood by.

Advertisement

The smell of burning chemicals lingered in the air but no fire or smoke were visible. Onlookers watched the rescue efforts from behind a cordon.

“As he (the plane’s pilot) was going down, he struggled to go back to the airport, at the end he just crashed,” said Alaba Lawal, who said she witnessed the accident.

ALSO READ  Tanzania's oppossition leader, Tundu Lisu flees to Belgium

“I just saw the whole thing explode, fire and smoke together … When I got there I saw dead bodies on the ground.”

Advertisement

The air force did not provide the identities of those killed in the crash.

The Beechcraft King Air 350i is a twin-propeller aircraft made by Textron Aviation, a unit of the U.S.-based Textron Inc conglomerate. The model was first released around 2009.

The company said in a statement that it had been notified of the accident, which it said is being investigated by Nigeria’s Aircraft Investigation Bureau and the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board.

Advertisement

“As a party to the investigation, the company is prohibited by NTSB regulation from divulging any information about the accident or investigation,” the company said.

ALSO READ  Libya's Interior Minister survives assassination attempt

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Anything newsworthy happening near you? Email your news TIPS to news@thedebrief.co.ke or Call/Message/WhatsApp +254111375399

JOIN OUR TELEGRAM CHANNEL FOR THE LATEST NEWS

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is telegram.png

______________________________________________________________________

Advertisement [arrow_forms id='2006']
Comments

News

Al Shabaab Suicide Bomber Kills Six At Somali Cafe In Baidoa

The Debrief Reporter

Published

on

Six civilians died and seven more were injured on Saturday when an Al-Shabaab suicide bomber blew himself up outside a cafe in Somalia, police and witnesses said.

The attack happened in the central town of Baidoa, 250 kilometres (190 miles) northwest of the capital Mogadishu and police said the target was the regional governor, who was inside the cafe taking tea.

“A terrorist suicide bomber blew up himself at Suweys cafeteria and killed six people, he was targeting the governor Ali Wardheere but he survived the attack,” local police officer Mohamud Adan told AFP by phone.

Advertisement

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Anything newsworthy happening near you? Email your news TIPS to news@thedebrief.co.ke or Call/Message/WhatsApp +254111375399

ALSO READ  Meghan Markle reveals she had a miscarriage in July

JOIN OUR TELEGRAM CHANNEL FOR THE LATEST NEWS

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is telegram.png

______________________________________________________________________

Continue Reading

News

Uhuru contributes Ksh. 1 Million towards rugby icon Ayimba’s medical expenses

The Debrief Reporter

Published

on

IN SUMMARY:
– President Uhuru Kenyatta has pledged Ksh. 1 million towards rugby legend Benjamin Ayimba’s medical expenses
– Senator Sakaja disclosed Uhuru’s contribution in a message posted on his Twitter account
– Kenya Rugby union had disclosed that Ayimba was critically ill
– Ayimba is a former Kenya Sevens and 15s captain, who was first appointed Shujaa Head coach in 2006

President Uhuru Kenyatta through Nairobi senator Johnson Sakaja has contributed a sum of Ksh. 1 million towards the medical expenses of ailing rugby legend, Benjamin Ayimba.

On a Tweet posted on his Twitter handle, Senator Sakaja disclosed that the head of state had promised Ksh. 1 million that will go into Ayimba’s medical expenses.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  Tanzania's oppossition leader, Tundu Lisu flees to Belgium

“Let’s keep at it #TurnUpforBenja. Thank you H.E Uhuru for the KES 1m. Kindly @RailaOdinga @WilliamsRuto @MusaliaMudavadi join in,” said Sakaja in the Tweet.

Kenya Rugby union had disclosed that Ayimba was critically ill and that his condition had drastically deteriorated. The union called on Kenyans to make their contributions via the Paybill number 8021673 with the name BENJAMIN OTIENO AYIMBA MEDICAL towards the rugby icon’s medical bills.

Ayimba is a former Kenya Sevens and 15s captain, who was first appointed Shujaa Head coach in 2006. He went on to guide Kenya to her first ever World Series Cup Final in Adelaide, Australia losing 26-7 to South Africa.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  Boko Haram kills 43 rice field workers in Nigeria

In 2011, he left the job under controversial circumstances after he openly opposed the fielding of Kenya’s main players at the Safaricom Sevens.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Anything newsworthy happening near you? Email your news TIPS to news@thedebrief.co.ke or Call/Message/WhatsApp +254111375399

JOIN OUR TELEGRAM CHANNEL FOR THE LATEST NEWS

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is telegram.png

______________________________________________________________________

Continue Reading

News

Kirinyaga: Middle-aged man found dead inside a lodging in Ndia

The Debrief Reporter

Published

on

IN SUMMARY:
– The middle-aged man was found dead inside a lodging in Ndia area, Kirinyaga
– Police are in pursuit of an unidentified woman who was in the company of the deceased
– His body was moved to Kutus Funeral home, Kutus

Police in Kirinyaga are investigating the death of a middle-aged man who was found dead inside a lodging in Ndia area.

According to the lodging caretaker, the man  booked a room at around 1pm in the company of unidentified woman who latter went missing.

Advertisement

The incident was confirmed by agio town’s Nyumba Kumi Chairman, Daniel Kangangi who is also a brother to the caretaker.

ALSO READ  Boko Haram kills 43 rice field workers in Nigeria

The caretaker is my brother. When he called me I informed officers based at Kagio Police station,”  said Kangangi.

Police are now in pursuit of the unidentified woman asking people in the hotel business to ensure that they take details of their customers.

Advertisement

The body has been moved to the Kutus Funeral home Kutus pending further investigations.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Anything newsworthy happening near you? Email your news TIPS to news@thedebrief.co.ke or Call/Message/WhatsApp +254111375399

JOIN OUR TELEGRAM CHANNEL FOR THE LATEST NEWS

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is telegram.png

______________________________________________________________________

Continue Reading
Advertisement

GET BREAKING NEWS DIRECT TO YOUR INBOX

SUBSCRIBE NOW!

Trending